Session 4: Human Dignity — Artificial Humanity
- 0:00:00 Introduction
- 0:02:53 Question #1: What is the DIGITAL environment?
- 0:09:19 Question #2: Are humans “information processors”?
- 0:16:06 Question #3: AI Superpowers?
- 0:22:56 Question #4: What were N. Wiener/P.K. Dick/H. Dreyfus worried about?
- 0:30:20 Question #5: Is Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) possible?
- 0:35:16 Question #6: What is the DIGITAL sphere?
- 0:42:55 Question #7: Robots ‘R Us?
- 0:47:48 Audience Questions
- 0:51:20 What is Human Dignity?
- 0:57:20 How can we achieve Human Dignity under Digital conditions?
- 0:59:20 What is the difference between Intelligence and Wisdom?
- 1:02:15 What does Steven Wolfram have to say about this topic?
- 1:09:10 Will computers be able to do everything humans do once they have enough complexity? Will they do the same things as humans but only differently?
- 1:16:10 Can computers process final cause or formal cause?
- 1:23:40 How is Heidegger Catholic Church without the Church?
Under Digital conditions, this failure to fully understand the unique
qualities of the human soul has led to aggressive efforts to build
“artificial humans.” If, as modern psychology asserts, humans are
simply “information processors,” then why can’t they be replaced by
immortal machines? Under the banner of Artificial General Intelligence
(AGI), and fueled by super-power rivalries, these attempts already
consume massive resources. A new “arms race” is underway. A return to
a deep comprehension of the “psyche” is urgently needed and the Church
must lead in its retrieval.
Question #1: What is the DIGITAL environment?
— Contains ELECTRIC (not PRINT)
— Retrieves SCRIBAL (not ORAL)
— Based on Memory architecture of digital systems
— Rebalances human sensibility
— Restores understanding of human psychology
Question #2: Are humans “information processors”?
— Cognitive Psychology replaces Behaviorism
— Information theory, 2nd Law and life
— Reforming Human Nature
— Systematizing biology
— Ignoring the Soul/Form
Question #3: AI Superpowers
— East vs. West (vs. Digital)
— Labor force impact
— Future of Humanity Institute/Asilomar
— Human amplifiers
Question #4: What were N. Wiener/P.K. Dick/H. Dreyfus worried about?
— Human Use of Human Beings (1950)
— Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (1968)
— What Computers Can’t Do (1972)/Still Can’t Do (1992)
— What’s missing?
— Image of the future
Question #5: Is Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) possible?
— Not with current techniques
— Recover causality? (Pearl)
— Use different logic? (Larson)
— Perform the Yi Jing? (Yang)
— Pattern-recognition not enough
Question #6: What is the Digital Sphere?
— Compassionate AI
— Space exploration
— Alchemical transformation
— Spark of the “divine”
Question #7: Robots ‘R Us?
— Retrieval of Natural Law
— The Virtues (West)
— The Way (East)
— Social Science