- 0:00:00 Introduction
- 0:02:25 Question #1: What does DIGITAl do to Catholic Social Teaching
- 0:08:30 Question #2: What does DIGITAL mean for Solidarity?
- 0:13:33 Question #3: What does DIGITAL mean for Subsidiarity?
- 0:21:10 Question #4: What does DIGITAL mean for Human Dignity?
- 0:29:00 Question #5: What are the Three Spheres?
- 0:35:50 Question #6: What is Elon Musk up to?
- 0:42:45 Question #7: Can Humanity survive in the DIGITAL age?
- 0:49:10 Audience Questions
Session 8: Solidarity — The Three Spheres The post-WW II “World Order” that we have lived under has collapsed as a result of Digital technology. This presents new challenges and substantially increases risks. Will we learn the lessons from the past and embrace the Church’s experience and charity towards all? We have entered into a dangerous historic period. Digital Catholic Social Teaching has become a particularly important source of guidance and grace.
Question #1: What Does DIGITAL Do to Catholic Social Teaching?
- New Paradigm; new rules
- Catholic Social Teaching was produced under ELECTRIC conditions – based on SCRIBAL principles
- But ELECTRIC retrieved the ORALsensibility
- We no longer live in the Modern World
- Digital *retrieves* the Medieval . . . !!
Question #2: What does DIGITAL mean for Solidarity?
- Human beings are *not* “Information Processors”
- Humans, like all living things, have a “soul” as form
- That psyche is unlike any other – made in “image and likeness of God” (as per Genesis)
- Critical issue becomes non-human Digital Sphere
- Human use of human beings
Question #3: What does DIGITAL mean for Subsidiarity?
- Memory replaces Fantasy
- Responsibility distributed to smallest unit
- Family once again takes priority
- Faith, Hope and Charity become prime virtues
- Revaluation of all “values”
Question #4: What does DIGITAL mean for Human Dignity?
- Robot autonomy retrieves human free will/agency
- ELECTRIC “collectivity” undermined
- SCRIBAL “personality” strengthened
- Freedom flips from “negative” to “positive”
- Grammar reasserts over Dialectics
Question #5: What are the Three Spheres?
- New Paradigm; new geopolitical structures
- East (logogram), West (alphabet) and Digital (code)
- Multicentric/Polyhedral – End of Globalism
- Alexander Dugin – Sea vs. Land powers
- Formal Causality: We shape our tools and thereafter they shape us
Question #6: What is Elon Musk up to?
- Musk = Digital Sphere (Neuralink, Tesla Robot)
- Mass Media = ELECTRIC (Radio, Television)
- Free Speech = PRINT sensibility
- East and West dealing with Digital differently
- Is Twitter “owned” by Intel Agencies?
Question #7: Can humanity survive in the new DIGITAL paradigm?
- Existential Threats: Climate and Robots &c
- DIGITAL divides not unifies
- Can *religion* recover?
- Will we remember what it means to be human?